Saturday, December 02, 2006

Adios Jose

We found out why the Nats inxeplicably offered arbitration to Jose Guillen: He was on the verge of signing a one-year, $5 million offer to play for the Seattle Mariners.

The good folks at USS Mariner seem happy with the deal, labeling it a "medium impact, medium risk move." I don't think they quite understand the Jose Guillen experience! I wonder how he's going to take to being the short half of a DH platoon, as he's likely to be for a few months til his arm is fully healthy.

Safeco has traditionally been death to right-handed power hitters. But as he's shown, his power is to right, where it's a bit easier to launch them out of the park. Still, the park's in his head already: "A lot of players don't like to play in Seattle because of the stadium, but I only need health, and I trust that my numbers will be there at the end of the season."

Lucky Ms fans!

He went out with a whimper, but it was his big bangs that carried this time through that magical first half that caused us all to fall in love with this team. He was Jim Bowden's first "Wow!" move with the Nats, and it'll be sad to see him move on.

I don't think any of us will ever forget this. 18 months later, I've still got a big grin on my face.

3 Comments:

  • That Home Run off Scott Shields was a PERFECT SWING!! I just love that moment--in context of everything that preceeded it that night.

    By Blogger Screech's Best Friend, at 12/02/2006 7:11 PM  

  • June 2005 rocked. It really did.

    By Blogger DM, at 12/02/2006 11:14 PM  

  • Top story tomorrow: Krivsky's on the war path and he is pissed.

    This is why teams to need to rigorous physicals on all trades.

    Seriously though, I dunno how Krivsky can win this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/03/2006 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home